How To Choose The Best Shower Filter – Step By Step Guide
When it comes to our bathrooms, we tend to give lots of consideration to the fixtures such as the tub, sink, and the toilet as well as to the showerhead and faucets. However, there tends to be an overlooking of the supportive parts to the bathroom until there is a problem or a discomfort. And while most people will not suffer from any ill effects if they do not have the best shower filter installed, there can be a very recognizable annoyance or presence that something about the bathroom just is not right.
In many cases, a shower filter can fix the discomforts of the shower. Signs that you may need to install a showerhead filter include hard water, irritation to the skin, a chemical smell to the water (including a sulfur like smell although this may be a bigger problem), and redness/rashes after bathing. Although these symptoms may be a bigger issue than the water, having a shower filter installed is a relatively cheap way to help prevent these problems.
Shower head filters should not be confused with shower heads. They are two completely different parts of the shower, and while the two work together, each is independent of themselves. Granted, there are a few models that merge the two together, but the best shower head filters are separate from the actual shower head.
Whether you own the house or are renovating a bathroom on a rental or lease property, understanding the benefits as well as how to choose the shower filter is essential to maximizing the overall quality of the water and bathing experience.
The best shower filters with shower heads
|Culligan RDSH-C115 RainDisc Showerhead with Filter, Chrome Finish||Wall/Ceiling mount||$$$||3.8|
|Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mount 10,000 Gallon Capacity Filtered Showerhead||Wall-Mount||$$$||4.4|
|ZenFresh Filtration Shower Head for Dry Skin & Hair High Pressure Water Saving Ionic Handheld Showerhead||Handheld||$$$||4.1|
|DreamSpa® 3-way Rainfall-Shower-Head /Handheld-Shower Combo||Handheld||$$$||4.4|
|FlowTec Handheld Ion Filter Shower Head, Remove Chlorine and Fluoride.||Handheld||$$$||4.6|
|WaterChef® SF-7C Premium Shower Filter System||Wall-Mounted||$$$||4.1|
|Vida Alegría Spashower H5+ Chrome 2.5GPM Handheld Shower with Hose||Handheld||$$$||4.8|
|Sprite HO2-WH-M Universal Shower Filter and 3 Setting Shower Head||Wall-Mounted||$$$||4.4|
|Aqua Elegante 6 Function Luxury Shower Head - Best High Pressure, Wall Mount, Adjustable Showerhead - Chrome||Wall Mount||$$$||4.8|
What is a shower head filter?
A shower head filter is an apparatus that sits between the main piping and the showerhead. On occasion, the filter is built into the head. Regardless of the design, the shower head filter aims to minimize or eliminate the presence of Chlorine in the water.
The Showerhead filter works by creating a reaction between the water (either with the use of a Kinetic Degradation Fluxion or Vitamin C). With the KDF the toxins in the water attach to the filter and work much like any water filtration device. The pure water goes through the showerhead, and the debris is trapped on the filter. With Vitamin C, the Chlorine is absorbed by the vitamin leaving you with a cleaner water source for your shower. Keep in mind that this is a filter and not a permanent fixture. Occasionally you will need to clean out the filter and replace parts. However, the shower filters last quite a while.
Advantages of a Shower Head Filter
Dependent upon where you live and the quality of water that is being provided, there are some advantages which the shower head filter can provide including:
- Healthier Hair – As your hair is going to be the thing closest to the shower on a consistent basis, it is never a good thing to expose it to chemicals such as chlorine. Eliminating the chlorine and having purer water will increase the strength of the follicles in the scalp and give you healthier hair.
- A more enjoyable bathing experience – When you bathe in a shower that has chemicals there is a distinctive smell. And where you may feel that you have to deal with the nasty smelling water, a filter can minimize or eliminate this odor. By doing such, your showering experience is increased.
- Reduced irritation on the skin and eyes – If you have ever opened your eyes in a large chlorinated pool, you can understand the pain in which it can cause. The same chemicals in a pool can be in your water (primarily the high chlorine content). This can cause irritation to the eyes and the skin. Because KDF and Vitamin C take out this chemical, there is less irritation caused from bathing.
How to Choose Shower Filter
By now, you should understand that the water that comes from your pipes can be purified dramatically with the use of a shower head. Finding the best shower head filter may be a bit of a task if you do not know what to look for, When picking the shower filter, there are a few key elements to consider.
- Ensure that the filter is either KDF or Vitamin C. If you find that the filter is using another methodology to take out the chlorine and toxins, you may want to be weary. KDF and Vitamin C are tested and accurate methods for the shower filter, other methods may not be.
- Longevity should be considered on any shower filter you purchase. Where the filter may offer great options for replacement and affordability, if the life of the filter is too short then you are not getting a quality product.
- Materials used in the manufacturing of the product. Like with a shower head, the shower filter will be made of a durable material. Try to avoid cheap plastics or thin metals as these are susceptible to breaking, bending, and cracking.
- Check to see how much replacement parts will be. If there are no replacement parts, then you may want to consider another brand (unless of course, the replacement apparatus is cheap enough to replace the whole unit).
- Bring pictures of your bathroom with you so that you can test the aesthetics of the filter with the rest of the bathroom. You want to merge the functionality with the look and feel of the bathroom. It would do ill to have a great interior design in the room just to have it thrown off with a big and bulky filter that does not meet your needs.
5 of the Best Showerhead Filters
There are a ton of filters which are available on the market. Some are good, and some are not so good. Here are five filters, which we think are the shower filters, which may work for your home or renovation project.
Resembling a thermos in its design, the Aquasana offers a two-stage design. The process uses copper-zinc oxidation and coconut shell carbon to remove the chlorine from water. The product is NSF certified and has a life of 6 months or 10,000 gallons. Filters are available for replacement, but in all honesty, the whole system is only about $20 more.
The Aquasana AQ-4100NSH Premium Shower Filter can be used with a shower head or with a shower wand. You will want to check the connectivity of your shower head or wand with the filter before installing though it does work with most standard sized piping and shower heads.
Unlike the Aquasana, the Culligan filter is a top mount filtration system. This means that the filter connects directly to the pipe and then the shower head fixed to the bottom of the filter. This filter is ideal for showers which do not have a tremendous amount of headroom as the filter is above the shower head as opposed to handing down and causing even less space.
Key features of the Culligan ISH-100 Level 2 Inline Shower Filter is the ability to cut chlorine by 97%, the reduction of sulfur and other standard water toxic smells, and its 10,000-gallon longevity.
This filter uses the KDF technology to clean the chlorine out of the water. The design is intended as an extension to the piping of the shower. This adds 8.6 inches to the shower pipe (so headroom should be considered) and then the shower head attaches directly to the filter.
The reason that this product is regarded as one of the shower filters is due to the simplistic design and installation. No tools are required, and replacement parts are cheap.
If you are doing a renovation project or if you have a lease property, the last things that you want are your tenants to believe that there is a problem with the water. And while your efforts to minimize the chlorine content may be noted, it may be more tactful to have a filter that blends in with the plumbing.
The Sprite All Brass High Output Chrome Chlorine Removing Shower Filter has the chrome finish that is common to lease properties. It attaches directly to the pipe and then the showerhead can attach to that area. It is a bit pricey regarding its competition, but the value is found in the ultra-strong housing design, easy to replace (and cheap) filters, and small size. Where other filters can push 8 to 11 inches, the Sprite is 5.5 making it ideal for inconspicuous placement.
This filter uses both the KDF and Chlorgon technology to minimize the chlorine content in water. The output is designed to minimize not only the chlorine but also to balance the PH levels and reduce odors. Unlike the other filters, the Sprite HO2- WH High Output Shower Filter boasts of killing the toxins and bacteria in the water (not just neutralizing them).
The filter has an adjustable massaging head, so there is no need to worry about conflicts in the design of the filter and the showerhead. However, if you have an existing showerhead, the filter can be used with it as well.
For the best showers, you need to ensure that you have the best water quality available. Having a great shower head is only half of the equation. If the water is corrupted with chlorine and toxins, it does not matter how well the aesthetics and the delivery of the water is. Installing the best shower filters in your bathrooms is an excellent way to minimize the chlorine, odors, and irritants and maximize the comfort of your showering experience.